The Care Certificate
Care Certificate gives candidates the introductory skills, knowledge and behaviours to provide compassionate, safe and high quality care and support. It meets the minimum set requirements as set by Skills for Care and links to the National Occupational Standards and has been developed in conjunction with Skills for Health.
Candidates will cover the 15 standards, all of which individuals need to complete in full before they can be awarded their certificate:
Understand your role
Your personal development
Duty of Care
Equality and Diversity
Work in a Person Centred Way
Privacy and dignity
Fluids and nutrition
Awareness of mental health, dementia and learning disability
Basic Life Support
Health and Safety
Who is this course for?
The Care Certificate is suitable for all individuals new and currently employed in the Health and Social Care such as Carers, Healthcare Assistants, Health Care Support workers, Assistant Practitioners, Domiciliary Workers or other Adult Social Care Workers working in the Social Care sector. The course is also suitable for various professionals working in non-caring roles but in a health and social care environment. The learning attained from the course can be used for recognition of Prior learning towards other future qualification such as the NVQ (National Vocation Qualification), Level 2 Diploma in Care, Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care, Level 3 Diploma in Health Care Support or Access to Higher Education Diploma in Nursing & Midwifery. The certificate attained is a life long qualification though periodic refresher courses may be required according to the employer.
By the end of the course learners will:
- Be able to understand their role as a health and social care worker, team work, and how to work in partnership with the employer
- Agree on a personal development plan and develop their knowledge, skills and understanding.
- Understand their duty of care and how to address dilemmas, comments and complaints, incidents, errors, near misses, confrontation and difficult situations.
- Understand the importance of equality and inclusion, how to work inclusively, and where to access information about diversity, inclusion and equality.
- Understand how to work in a person centred way and values
- Understand the importance of effective communication, and how to promote effective communication.
- Understand the principles and help individuals maintain their privacy & Dignity
- Understand the principles and support individuals in nutrition, hydration and food safety individuals in accordance to their care plan.
- Understand the experiences, needs of and support individuals with mental health conditions, dementia or learning disabilities in accordance to the current legal framework
- Understand the principles of Safeguarding adults, how to reduce and respond to abuse
- Understand what child abuse is, how to spot and respond to it appropriately in line with law.
- Know how to provide basic life support to adults, children and infant
- Understand how maintain health and safety in the working environment
- Know how to handle, use, store, pass and protect information inline with the current legislation principles.
- Know how to prevent the spread of infection in the health and social care workplace.
Upon the successful completion of the online learning material you will be able to undertake a 20 question quiz with a pass mark of 80%. The questions are automatically marked and you will be automatically certificated. If you don’t pass, you can retake the assessment as many times as desired until you attain your certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
2. When can I start my Care Certificate course?
You can start your course immediately after purchase.
3. How long will the Care Certificate take?
All our courses will differ, according to the learning resource, but traditionally, previous learners have taken as little as 1 hour up to 3 hours per module. You have access to the courses once purchased for a period of 1 year.
4. When will I get my certificate?
Certificates are usually available immediately after completing the course. Click on the certificate button to download and save it somewhere easy to remember. We do not normally provide a hard copy of the certificate. A charge of £5.00 will apply where a hard copy is desired. If the course was purchased for you by your employer, please contact them for a copy of your certificate.
5. How can I purchase The Care Certificate course?
You can either choose to purchase a single course, a number of courses. Individuals wishing to purchase one Care Certificate for themselves are advised to click Start Course, Take this Course, select individual for a single learner, or Group for individuals purchasing on behalf of their company, add to basket and proceed to checkout.